Friday, February 6, 2009

TGIF



"Thank God, It's Friday!" I've outgrown this expression years ago. I was a young ambitious, goal-oriented, freedom lover, and adventurous college graduate some years ago in L.A. To top it all, I was a determined hardworker trying to finish grad school. I experienced working in offices at downtown L.A., Wilshire Blvd. Century City, Westwood area as well as the Beverly Hills area. It was like I'm dreaming when I sat on one of those soft-cushioned leather arm chairs on the 27th red-carpeted floor over-looking the blue swimming pools and artistic bungallows in Beverly Hills. No, I am not materialistic. Although when I walked out during lunch time and passed by the fast low black bench cars, I had wished that I had one of those shiny cars rather than ride the bus. Deep inside, all I wanted was to overcome whatever hurdle I have to take. And every Friday night when work was over, I literally jumped out of the workplace. You see, I work really hard. I give it my best whether the boss is over my shoulders or when he is on vacation. Every moment is a test of honesty and integrity when I do my best according to excellence which is required of me. I hold my breath everytime the work gets so demanding. I try to focus when it gets tedious and boring. And then when the time has come, I shout in relief, "Thank God, It's Friday!" and off to my friends I go.

Gone are the days when I get super excited on Fridays. I've outgrown that TGIF expression. Whether Mondays or Fridays, I try to focus on achieving my goals towards eternity. The weekends for me are busier. I have a husband and a daughter whom I adore greatly. You see, my real boss is the one I could not see but someone who definitely exists and see whatever I do and knows whatever I think about -- God.

Today is Friday. I get a little excited too not because of the relief but because we are doing something different on weekends with my family. No, I never was able to have one of those shiny black cars but had a white mazda as my first car, and no, I never got to live in Beverly Hills, and no, I never was able to finish grad school. But I was able to see London and the English countryside, Paris, Netherlands, and Israel, by God's graciousness. But more importantly, I was able to overcome some personal weaknesses -- like impulsiveness, boredom, lack of direction, etc. and I got closer to my Lord. Now that I'm not getting younger and youthful strenght is vanishing, I try to focus on reading more of the Bible-- that I may know Him.

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14

Well, I will say it again but not too exuberantly -- "TGIF."

No comments: